Thursday, December 4, 2008

You..the Patron

A funny thing happened the other night.

A very nice young gentleman came to the Reference Desk and asked for help. He needed some books for a paper at school. At the time he was just looking for a list of available books but not the actual books. I brought up a list and added the call numbers so when he came back he would know what we had and where they were located. He seemed amazed that I would do such a thing for him. I then brought up some databases he could look at and the merits of each. Once again, he seemed amazed.

This got me thinking. Those who become librarians or work in the library field do so because they enjoy working with people. If you come enough times, nine out of ten times we remember you and remember at least a little bit of your interests or hobbies. You become part of our library family. For those who feel bad about us coming with you to look for a book or books...don't be. This is what we do and what we enjoy doing.

And finally, for the kids and young adults who are afraid to approach us... don't be. If you have heard that we are mean and eat people, we haven't done that in many years. Come by and visit us at the Reference Desk. We look forward to meeting you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice vignette! Great story - almost all of the librarians that I've met are helpful, professional, and nice!