Thursday, August 26, 2010

Getting From Here to There - Fast and Safely

Hello Again Farmingdale (and non-Farmingdale) Residents,

I just came across a seriously cool travel type website. It is called 511-Traffic, Travel and Transit Information. Click here for a link to the site. I realized this could make for an interesting blog entry this morning when I heard the traffic and weather together report on WCBS880. I must have been thinking about the blog and possible topics because I really don't remember consciously thinking, 'we need a travel entry for the blog'.

In any event, the site is pretty neat!

Users can create their own maps based on a traffic condition legend at the left side of the screen. For example, if you want to zero in on a particular town (Farmingdale perhaps) and see if there are any road closures due to weather or construction you can click on the box at the left side of the screen....

Other options include displaying bridges and tunnels, current road speed conditions and more. A very helpful and intuitive interface makes this site easy to use and to navigate. Note that users can zoom in and out using the tabs on the left side in the map area. Furthermore, users can use the drop down menu at the top of the map to zoom into specific areas in the local New York State area. Yes - there is a tab for the Long Island region - which is very darn helpful.

Finally, users can actually save the map options that have been selected. I could see this being helpful if you make constant trips using the same roads...but I suspect that if you take the same roads then you could anticipate when and where potential traffic issues may occur.

So there you have it a helpful travel website that will help you get from here to there in a snap!

By the way, if you like this blog and the topics that we cover in it, why not tell a friend or a family member or another library patron about it?

Regards,
Stu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool site. Thanks.